The Riverside Center for Spiritual Living, originally called the First Church of Religious Science, is affiliated with Centers for Spiritual Living based in Golden, Colorado.
Our Center has been part of the Riverside community for decades. In 1939, the very first meeting to form a church was held by a group of people inspired by Dr. Ernest Holmes, the founder of Religious Science, whom they had heard speak in Los Angeles. A Study Group was formed and regular services began in 1940 at the big Reynolds home where Magnolia Palms Apartments now stand. Many social activities took place unifying the group just as they do today.
Attendance grew, causing the Study Group to relocate in 1942 to the Women's Club House at Brockton Avenue and Tenth Street. Membership grew to 100 and the group applied for a charter. The First Church of Religious Science was issued its Articles of Incorporation on October 13, 1942. The church continued to expand and moved to The Golden State Theater on Seventh Street (now Mission Inn Boulevard) in 1947 to accommodate the growth.
In 1949, the Wycliff Taylor family sold the church five lots for $10 at the corner of Ridge Road and Fairmount Boulevard where the community still meets today. From 1950–1953, as plans were developing for church construction and completion, the meeting place for services was changed from the Golden State Theater to the Lido Theater on Seventh Street, where the group could have its own room for services.
In 1951, the following was in an article written in a local newspaper:
Over 50 members and friends of The Church of Religious Science watched ground breaking ceremonies and a dedication yesterday at the site of the new church building on Ridge Road, immediately following the regular service.
Dr. Holmes was present at the dedication of the Ridge Road church and during the 1950s, was often the guest speaker, attracting many, many people.
In 1983, the name was officially changed from the First Church of Religious Science to the Community Church of Religious Science. In 2006, the name was changed once again to the Riverside Community Center for Spiritual Living and today it is the Riverside Center for Spiritual Living. The current name change reflects the vision and direction of our Center’s Partnering Organization, Centers for Spiritual Living (forrmed by the merger of the United Church of Religious Science and International Church of Religious Science).
Riverside CSL has had a total of 18 spiritual leaders including Rev. Jeffrey Kealoha Ryan, the current Senior Minister. Each has built upon and expand that which was started before him/her.
Our Center is a safe and loving spiritual community where we are reminded that we are precious and empowered to live the life of our dreams. We are a place to experience peace, harmony, abundance, wisdom and love that we know as God. We know that Spirit is fully alive and well expressing in everyone and everything. Here we celebrate diversity and honor all paths to God.